What is Surya Kriya?
Surya Kriya is a yogic practice that is designed as a powerful tool to activate the sun within oneself. "Surya" refers to the sun, and "Kriya" means an inner energy process. It is a dynamic form of yoga that combines specific physical postures (asanas), breath control techniques (pranayama), rhythmic movements, and inner visualization to harness the energy of the sun.
Surya Kriya is a complete spiritual practice that aims to balance and align the physical, mental, and energy dimensions of an individual. It incorporates elements of Hatha Yoga and is derived from the ancient science of Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation). However, Surya Kriya is a distinct and more intense practice that goes beyond the physical aspect and encompasses a deeper meditative and energy-based approach.
The practice of Surya Kriya involves a specific sequence of postures and movements that activate the solar plexus and stimulate the various energy centers (chakras) in the body. It generates a tremendous amount of energy, purifies the system, and strengthens the physical body. Through focused breath control and awareness, practitioners can experience a heightened sense of vitality, mental clarity, and spiritual growth.
Surya Kriya is traditionally taught as a comprehensive system by Isha Foundation under the guidance of Sadhguru. It is typically learned through an initiation process conducted by trained instructors. The practice is designed to be suitable for all levels of practitioners, and modifications are provided to accommodate individual needs and abilities.
The practice is taught with simple, guided instructions provided by an accredited Isha™ Hatha Yoga teacher, and can be practiced thereafter at home. Regular practise sessions are also offered at the studio.
Benefits of Surya Kriya
- Enhanced Physical Well-being: Surya Kriya improves overall physical health, strength, flexibility, and endurance. It stimulates the cardiovascular system, boosts metabolism, and enhances muscular tone and coordination.
- Increased Energy Levels: The practice activates and balances the solar plexus, which is the main energy center in the body. This results in increased vitality, heightened energy levels, and a sense of rejuvenation.
- Mental Clarity and Focus: Surya Kriya incorporates specific breath control techniques and movement sequences that enhance mental clarity, concentration, and focus. It helps calm the mind, reduce mental fatigue, and improve cognitive function.
- Emotional Balance: Regular practice of Surya Kriya can lead to emotional stability and balance. It helps release emotional blockages, reduces stress, anxiety, and promotes a sense of inner calm and well-being.
- Respiratory Health: Surya Kriya includes controlled breathing patterns that improve lung capacity, strengthen the respiratory system, and enhance the oxygen supply to the body, resulting in improved overall respiratory health.
- Boosted Immune System: The practice of Surya Kriya stimulates and strengthens the immune system, helping to ward off illnesses and diseases by improving the body's natural defense mechanisms.
- Improved Digestion: Surya Kriya incorporates specific postures and movements that massage and stimulate the digestive organs, promoting healthy digestion, improving metabolism, and relieving digestive issues.
- Detoxification: The practice facilitates detoxification by increasing blood circulation, activating the lymphatic system, and improving the elimination of toxins from the body, leading to overall purification and rejuvenation.
- Balancing Hormones: Surya Kriya has a positive impact on the endocrine system, which regulates hormone production and balance in the body. Regular practice can help balance hormones, promoting overall hormonal health.
- Spiritual Growth: Surya Kriya is a powerful tool for spiritual growth and self-transformation. It creates a conducive inner environment, leading to a deeper connection with oneself and higher states of consciousness.
- Suitable for ages 8+
- High-level intensity
- No prior knowledge or background in yoga is required
- Surya Kriya Workshop: 250€
- Discount possible for those who need it.
- Small group with more individual corrections.
- 40 day post-workshop practice support.
- Consecrated space with Devi Yantra.
Upcoming Surya Kriya
Frequently asked questions
What is the difference between Surya Kriya and Surya Namaskar?
Surya Namaskar, also known as Sun Salutation, is a variation from Surya Kriya. It is simplified so that it can be taught to a wider audience. Surya Kriya is the original and the fundamental format. It has a stronger spiritual inclination than Surya Namaskar.
Is Surya Kriya workshop suitable for me?
Surya Kriya is suitable for anyone who is older than 12 years. If you are relevantly mobile and have no severe back problem or hernia, you can do the practice.
Due to the nature of the practice it is not suitable for a lady who is pregnant. It is also recommended not to do Surya Kriya within 6 months of any open surgery; or with 6 weeks of any laparoscopic surgery.
I don't done any yoga before. Can I still attend the Surya Kriya workshop?
Yes. You can for sure attend the Surya Kriya workshop, regardless your previous experience in yoga. There is no pre requisite for learning Surya Kriya.
The entire practice is taught in such depth, including the correctness of the postures and how to do the breathing. After the practice, you will be able to repeat the full routine on your own.
Can I learn Surya Kriya online?
Surya Kriya workshop is not available online. You can only learn it in
person. This an ancient practice within the classical Hatha Yoga
series. Sadhguru emphasis the importance of a live transmitting of all classical Hatha Yoga practices. A certain atmosphere has been created
in the class, which is the most conducive for you to receive them.
Can I combine Surya Kriya with other practices?
Yes, you can combine Surya Kriya with other practices. If you do other Isha Yoga practices, Surya Kriya is a wonderful preparation steps for you.
If you practice other style of yoga, you can still combine your current
practice with Surya Kriya. During the workshop, the teacher will explain how you combine it with other yoga practices.
What are the benefits of practicing Surya Kriya?
Surya Kriya offers various benefits, including increased physical fitness, improved energy levels, enhanced mental clarity, stress reduction, balanced hormone secretion, improved digestion, and overall well-being. It is also known to strengthen the musculoskeletal system and boost the immune system.
Can beginners practice Surya Kriya?
Surya Kriya can be practiced by beginners, but it is advisable to learn it from a trained and certified yoga instructor. They can guide you through the practice, teach proper alignment, and provide modifications based on individual capabilities.
How often should I practice Surya Kriya?
Ideally, it is recommended to practice Surya Kriya daily for maximum benefits. However, starting with a few times per week and gradually increasing the frequency is also beneficial. Consistency and regularity are key to experiencing the transformative effects of the practice.
Is Surya Kriya a spiritual practice?
Surya Kriya can have spiritual dimensions, as it involves energy activation and synchronization. It can help in creating a deeper connection with oneself and the universe. However, the practice can be approached purely from a physical and wellness perspective as well.
Can Surya Kriya help with weight loss?
Surya Kriya can be a part of a holistic weight management routine. It can increase metabolism, improve digestion, and promote overall physical fitness, which may support weight loss goals when combined with a balanced diet and a healthy lifestyle.
How long does a Surya Kriya practice session take?
A complete Surya Kriya practice typically takes around 21 minutes. It involves a specific sequence of asanas, pranayama, and internal energy locks. However, it is important to allocate additional time for warm-up exercises and relaxation before and after the practice.
Can Surya Kriya be practiced by people of all ages?
Surya Kriya is generally suitable for individuals of different age groups. However, it is advisable to consult with a trained yoga instructor, especially if you have any specific health conditions or limitations, to ensure proper guidance and modifications if needed.
Can Surya Kriya be practiced during pregnancy?
It is recommended to avoid practicing Surya Kriya during pregnancy. It involves specific movements and energy locks that may not be suitable for expecting mothers. It's best to consult with a prenatal yoga instructor or healthcare provider for appropriate practices during pregnancy.
Can I practice Surya Kriya on my own or do I need a yoga instructor?
It is highly recommended to learn Surya Kriya from a trained and certified yoga instructor. They can guide you on proper techniques, ensure correct alignment, and address any questions or concerns that may arise during the practice.